Our local market here on HWy 101, Lee's Market in Langlois, sells Oregon grass fed beef. His brochure explains why this type of beef is better for you.
1. Do not think that organic, or all natural is the same as grass fed. Grass fed means the animal has been fed grass its entire life, making it healthier and leaner.
2. The animals are raised on open grass ranges and cold branded.
3. The beef you buy in supermarkets comes from animals that have been fed grain from highly industrialized farms.
"Producing feedlot meat requires taxpayers to subsidize the grain producers, creates unsustainable jobs with low paying wages, and ships valuable dollars overseas as we import our energy."
Some reasons why you should be eating Grass Fed Beef from the brochure in the market at Langlois:
1. The animal has never been given growth hormones or fed antibiotics.
2. Has not eaten fillers such as grains
3. High in vitamins.
4. Minimum carbon footprint
5. The hamburger is from just one animal!
If you compare the nutrients of regular beef with grass fed, you'll find that while the regular beef relies on layers of fat to impart taste, the grass fed is naturally tastier and contains more nutrients and less heart-clogging fat.
The cost? Well worth it!
Check what's available in your neck of the woods and eat healthy!