Here are steps/strategies to get you started cooking your own meals.
1. one small bunch of fresh greens such as chard, spinach, cabbage.
2. one can of beans of your choice
3. a bottle of olive oil/extra virgin
4. a loaf of bread, your choice
A nutritious meal can be had with three ingredients, and good olive oil, using your microwave.
Buy any greens you like, or a combination. Cut them up in bite size, drizzle some olive oil, cover and microwave for sixty seconds. Pull out and taste. Add just a few grains of salt if needed. If not soft enough for your taste, microwave for another thirty seconds at a time.
Next, open the can of beans. Drain, rinse, and add the beans to the greens. Microwave for another sixty seconds.
There, you have a meal. If you purchased a crusty bread, you have a feast. Double this up and you have two meals!
Try the same thing on another day with a simple change:
1. add rice (read directions on the package for making it in the microwave.)
2. or soy sauce
3. or hot sauce
4. or vinegar
5. or citrus juice
6. or pasta (boil the water in a bowl first and add noodles
7. or a can of stewed tomatoes for minestrone
8. anything you have in the fridge.
If you have made enough for two meals, you can roll the leftovers in a burrito wrap, add salsa, and you have created a burrito! You'll go far on simple greens and beans.