Translate

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Chinese New Year.


I hardly, ever, use recipes. But, for chinese food, I rely on others, and make only very simple stir fry dishes that use every day ingredients. This recipe for lettuce cups comes from Sunset Magazine, Jan. 2012. In parenthesis are my modifications.
The recipe is easy and quick, a perfect lunch or snack.

Bison( beef for me) and water chestnut lettuce cups:

1 lb ground bison (beef)
2 Tbs minced fresh ginger ( my piece of ginger came from the freezer)
1 Tb minced garlic
(2 Tbs sesame oil) My beef is very lean!
2 1/2 Tbs Asian black bean sauce
1 1/2 Tbs hoisin sauce
1 can of water chestnuts, rinsed, drained, chopped
1/2 C sliced green onions ( one cup)
1/2 C chopped peanuts (one cup)
1 large head of butter lettuce, separated into leaves
Sriracha hot sauce
(Soy sauce)

Combine sesame oil, beef, ginger and garlic in a large frying pan over medium heat.
Cook until brown, and meat separated in small bites.
Add bean sauce and hoisin sauce, stir until combined.
Add water chestnuts and onions.
(Taste, add additional sesame oil for flavor.)

Spoon this mixture in a serving bowl.
Add peanuts on top.

Serve on individual leaves, with Sriracha sauce and/or( soy sauce).

Don't forget to add chop sticks, fortune cookies, hot tea.

Happy New Year!





Ingredients:

8 comments:

  1. Chinese new year is Monday, isn't it? I'll have to make something special... well, unless we go out for Chinese... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds fun. Maybe I will try it today or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm! Sounds so good I may just have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have made a stab at Chinese food, bought cookbooks and cooking equipment but have yet to make something we return to. LOVE Chinese food though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sally, I have done the same, and still can't come up with anything closely resembling the good stuff I like. But, I keep trying...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make something like this with ground turkey, a copy cat recipe of the lettuce wraps at PF Changs. It's the only Chinese food I've ever attempted, I'm printing this one out for the next time I get adventurous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read this. Sounds good. We're "celebrating" by having lasagna tonight. I'll look for the ingredients and try it. Do you use a wok?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very impressed! :) If you would like a delicous recipe of sweet & sour pork... let me know.

    ReplyDelete