Translate

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Spice up your life.


I'm pretty satisfied with home cooking, a simple tomato and cucumber salad with salt, pepper, a touch of oregano to accompany a simply  grilled salmon.
I sprinkle my own spice mix on the fish before I put it on the grill.


Here is the spice mix I use for fish, chicken, lamb burgers.  Measurements are approximate.

1/4 cup of dried oregano
1/8 cup of pepper
1/8 cup of caraway seeds
1/8 cup of fennel seeds
1/8 cup of dry onion flakes
1 Tablespoon of mustard seeds
1 Tablespoon of paprika
1Tablespoon of salt
1Tablespoon of dried lemon zest

Run everything in a pepper mill or coffee grinder. Store in a container with a tight lid.



9 comments:

  1. mmmm! Thank you for this, we've been grilling a lot, and I can't wait to try out this mix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana, try a smaller batch and see if you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like simple food best. we went on vacation to Cozumel one year and every restaurant in the hotels and in the little town served 'fancy' food. I couldn't eat any of it...too rich. we took a day trip to see some ruins and part of it was lunch at a little hut on a beach. it was the best food I had that whole trip. plain grilled fish, boiled potatoes and a simple salad.

    we'll have to try your spice mix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sentiments,plain is best. If something is covered with sauce, I tend to balk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great, Rosaria! My new favorite to try on my freshly picked tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, totally yummy! I hope you will link this up at my June Salad Round Up - http://seasidesimplicity.blogspot.com/2011/06/wanted-salads.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great salad and spice mix! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Note:
    On Sunday, I bbq'd salmon steaks, with a small pinch of spice mix. I rubbed some olive oil first, then sprinkled the spice mix like salt and pepper.

    If you like more heat, add cayenne instead of paprika.

    ReplyDelete